Appleton le Street, North Riding of Yorkshire
Appleton-le-Street, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Roman road to Aldborough, near the river Rye, 1 mile W of Amotherby railway station. Acreage, 1633; population of the civil parish, 151; of the ecclesiastical, with Amotherby, 890. The parish contains also the townships of Swinton, Bronghton, Amotherby, and Hildenley, and the hamlet of Eastliorpe. Post town, Malton, which is the money order and telegraph office. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £309 with residence. The church has an Early Norman tower, and contains two recumbent effigies.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Appleton-Le-Street All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Appleton Le Street:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Appleton le Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Appleton-Le-Street (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Appleton le Street are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: