Appleton Wiske, North Riding of Yorkshire
Appleton-Wiske or Appleton-upon-Wiske, a township and parochial chapelry in Great Smeaton parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the river Wiske, 3 miles NW of Welbury railway station, and 7½- NNE of Northallerton, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 1865; population, 294. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Great Smeaton, in the diocese of Ripon; joint net value, £419. The church is very ancient, and was thoroughly repaired in 1875. There are chapels for Congregationalists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and a mechanics' institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Appleton Wiske:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Appleton Wiske from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Appleton-upon-Wisk)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Appleton Wiske are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: