Anlaby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Anlaby, a township in Kirk-Ella and Hessle parishes, E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles W of Hull, and 1 mile from Willerby and Kirk-Ella station on the Hull and Barnsley railway. Acreage, 1471; population, 749. It has a post and money order office under Hull; telegraph office, Hessle. Anlaby House has been successively the seat of the Anlabys, the Legards, and the Vauses. There is a church, which is a chapel of ease to Kirk-Ella, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and a public reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirk Ella|
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Anlaby:
|Anlaby St Peter||1872-1922||1872-1924|
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Anlaby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Anlaby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Anlaby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: