Church Hulme, Cheshire
Holmes Chapel or Church Hulme, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Sandbach parish, Cheshire, on the river Daine, 4 miles E of Middlewich, and 5 N of Sandbach. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Crewe, and a station on the Crewe and Stockport section of the L. & N.W.R., both bearing the name Holmes Chapel. The township comprises 905 acres; population, 860; of the chapelry, 1150. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church is ancient, dating from the 12th century, and is in perfect restoration, having been repaired gradually in recent years. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Hulme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hulme, Church)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.