Church Coppenhall, Cheshire
Church-Coppenhall, a township and a parish in Cheshire. The township is 2 miles NE of Crewe, and 4 N of Nantwich. Post town, Crewe. Acreage, 1535; population, 4165. The greater part of the township, including the whole of the urban population, and also the church and rectory, was incorporated with the borough of Crewe in 1892. The population of the unincorporated portion is only about 700. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £240. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. There was a church here in the 13th century, and the names of rectors are found as far back as 1373. It has been successively rebuilt, the last effort in this direction being in 1886, when a very lofty and stately chancel, side-chapel, vestry, organ chamber, and transepts were erected and used with the old nave. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Church-Dilwyn. See DILWYN.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coppenhall St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Coppenhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Coppenhall (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Church Coppenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.