Wylye or Wiley, Wiltshire
Wylye or Wiley, a parish, with Wiley village and Deptford tithing, in Wiltshire, on the river Wiley, and having a station on the G.W.R., 116 miles by rail from London, and 7½ NW by W of Wilton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage, 2314; population, 414. There is a parish council of eight members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. There are extensive ancient entrenchments called Badbury Ring and Yarnborough Camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church, rebuilt in 1844, is in the Perpendicular style, with an embattled western tower. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wily St. Mary|
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wylye or Wiley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wily (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: