Wroughton, a parish, with four tithings, in Wiltshire, 3½ miles SSW of Swindon station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Swindon. Acreage, 7307; population, 2511. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. Wroughton House and Salthrop Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £300 with residence. The church is of the 11th century, and was restored in 1854. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wroughton St. John the Baptist and St. Helen|
|Hundred||Elstub and Everley|
|Poor Law union||Highworth and Swindon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Wroughton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wroughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wroughton (St. John the Baptist and St. Helen))
Online maps of Wroughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: