Worton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Potterne parish, Wiltshire. The township lies 4 miles SSW of Devizes station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Devizes; money order and telegraph office, Potterne. Acreage of the township, 972; population, 303; of the ecclesiastical parish, 476. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The ecclesiastical parish includes Marston tithing, and was constituted in 1851. The living is a vicarage, with Marston annexed, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £265. Patron, the Vicar of Potterne. The ehurch is a building of stone in the Early English style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Potterne and Cannings|
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Worton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Worton from the following:
Online maps of Worton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: