Wootton Rivers, Wiltshire
Wootton Rivers, a parish in Wiltshire, on the Kennet and Avon Canal, 3 miles ENE of Pewsey station on the G.W.R., and 4 S of Marlborough. It has a post office under Pewsey; money order and telegraph office, Burbage. Acreage, 1200; population, 331. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £300 with residence. The church was restored in 1861 under the direction of Mr. E. Street.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wootton-Rivers St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Pewsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Wootton Rivers:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wootton Rivers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wootton-Rivers (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Wootton Rivers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: