Winterslow, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, 3½ miles SSE of Porton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 ENE of Salisbury. It has a post and money order office under Salisbury; telegraph office, Dean railway station. Acreage, 5236; population of the civil parish, 786; of the ecclesiastical, 730. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor was anciently held on the tenure of providing claret for the king at Clarendon Palace. Winterslow House was a residence of the Fox family, and was burned down in 1774. Roche Court is a handsome seat in the neighbourhood, and is the property of Earl Nelson. Many Saxon and Early Norman coins, cut into halves and quarters, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £585 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is a building of flint with an embattled tower, and has been well restored and enlarged. St John's Chapel was erected on Winterslow Common in 1860, and is in connection with the parish church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterslow All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Alderbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Winterslow 1598-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winterslow:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterslow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterslow (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: