Winterbourne Stoke, Wiltshire
Winterbourne Stoke, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, on Salisbury Plain, 4 miles N of Wishford station on the G.W.R., and 5½ W by S of Amesbury. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Shrewton. Acreage, 3572; population, 249. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton. Many barrows and traces of an ancient camp are on the downs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £185 with residence. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone with a square central embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterbourne-Stoke St. Peter|
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winterbourne Stoke:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Stoke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterbourne-Stoke (St. Peter))
Online maps of Winterbourne Stoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: