Winterbourne Gunner, Wiltshire
Winterbourne Gunner, a parish in Wiltshire, 1 mile SSW of Porton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ miles NNE of Salisbury. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Salisbury. Acreage, 1518; population, 166. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belonged in the time of Henry III. to Henry Delamere, and it took its suffix name of Gunner from his wife Gunnora. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £178 with residence. The church is small and ancient. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterbourne-Gunner St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winterbourne Gunner:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Gunner from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterbourne-Gunner, or Cherborough (St. Mary))
Online maps of Winterbourne Gunner are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: