Winterbourne Earls, Wiltshire
Winterbourne Earls, a parish in Wiltshire, 2½ miles SSW of Porton station on the L. & S.W.R, and 3½ NNE of Salisbury. Post town, Salisbury. Acreage, 1703; population of the civil parish, 237; of the ecclesiastical, with Winterbourne Dantsey, 373. There are two manors. The living is a vicarage annexed to Winterbourne Dantsey. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is a fine structure of flint and stone in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterbourne Earls St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winterbourne Earls:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Earls from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterbourne, Earls (St. Michael))
Online maps of Winterbourne Earls are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: