Winterbourne Dantsey, Wiltshire
Winterbourne Dantsey, a parish in Wiltshire, 2 miles from Porton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 NNE of Salisbury. Post town, Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Winterbourne Gunner. Acreage, 1187; population of the civil parish, 136; of the ecclesiastical, with Winterbourne Earls, 373. The manor belonged anciently to the Danvers, and gave them the title of Baron. The living is a vicarage, united with Winterbourne Earls, in the diocese of "Salisbury; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was taken down in 1867. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterbourne Dantsey or Dannery St. Edward|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Dantsey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterbourne Dantsey or Dannery (St. Edward))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: