Winterbourne Bassett, Wiltshire
Winterbourne Bassett, a parish in Wiltshire, 5 miles SSE of Wootton Bassett station on the G.W.R. Post town, Swindon. Acreage, 2190; population, 271. Many barrows and Druidical stones are on the downs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £435 with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is a very ancient building of stone chiefly in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterbourne-Basset St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winterbourne Bassett:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne Bassett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterbourne-Basset (St. Catherine))
Online maps of Winterbourne Bassett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: