West Grimstead, Wiltshire
Grimstead, West, a parish in Wiltshire, near Dean station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ miles SE by E of Salisbury. Post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Alderbury. Acreage, 1509; population, 215. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is old but good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alderbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1717.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for West Grimstead:
Church of England
St. John (parish church)
The church of St. John is a small edifice of stone and flint, dating from the 13th century and consisting of chancel, nave, and a belfry containing 2 bells: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Grimstead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Grimstead, West)
Online maps of West Grimstead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: