West Ashton, Wiltshire
Ashton, West, a tithing, a township, and a chapelry near Steeple-Ashton, Wilts. The tithing lies 2½ miles SE of Trowbridge station on the G.W.R. There is a post and telegraph office; money order office, Trowbridge. Acreage of township, 2025; population, 302. Rood Ashton House is a splendid Gothic mansion, surrounded by a magnificent park of 700 acres. The chapelry is conterminate with the tithing, and is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £200. The church is a neat modern edifice, and has a stone pulpit and a good organ.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Steeple Ashton|
|Poor Law union||Westbury and Whorwelsdown|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for West Ashton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Ashton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashton, West)
Online maps of West Ashton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: