UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Urchfont or Erchfont, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Urchfont or Erchfont, a parish, with three tithings, in Wiltshire, 5 miles SE of Devizes station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Devizes; money order and telegraph' office, Market Lavington. Acreage, 6285; population of the civil parish, 980; of the ecclesiastical, 1055. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The living is a vicarage, with Stert chapelry, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is an ancient structure of stone in the Decorated style, and has been restored. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishUrchfont St. Michael 
HundredSwansborough 
Poor Law unionDevizes 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Urchfont 1538-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Urchfont or Erchfont from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Urchfont or Erchfont are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: