UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Tilshead, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Tilshead, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, 8 miles from Codford station on the G.W.R., and 10 S by E of Devizes. It has a post office under Devizes; money order and telegraph office, Shrewton. Acreage, 3883; population, 393. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. There are several barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £113 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has been restored and enlarged. The tower is very ancient, and stands in the middle of the church. There is a Baptist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishTilshead St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredBranch and Dole 
Poor Law unionAmesbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Tilshead:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1603-18801754-17901603-18371603-1927

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tilshead from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tilshead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP3
Post TownSalisbury

Advertisement

Advertisement