Tidcombe, a parish in Wiltshire, 3½ miles SE of Grafton station on the Midland and South-Westem Junction railway, 4 miles S of Bedwyn on the G.W.R., and 8 SSW of Hungerford. Post town, Marlborough. Acreage, 2251; population of civil parish, 199; of ecclesiastical, 90. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £165 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, a small ancient structure, was restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tidcombe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Tidcombe:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tidcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tidcombe (St. Michael))
Online maps of Tidcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: