UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Stratford under the Castle, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Stratford-under-the-Castle (commonly called Stratford-sub-Castle), a parish in Wiltshire, on the river Avon, 2 miles NNW of Salisbury station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Salisbury. Acreage, 1501; population of the civil parish, 321; of the ecclesiastical, 334. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £195 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is in a good state of preservation. The vicarage house is interesting as having been at one time the residence of the Pitt family. Its old name is Mawarden Court. In this parish is Old Sarum, formerly extra-parochial, but now included civilly with Stratford.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStratford-Under-The-Castle St. Lawrence 
HundredUnderditch 
Poor Law unionAlderbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stratford-sub-Castle 1654-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stratford under the Castle from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stratford under the Castle are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: