Stert, a township in Urchfont parish, Wiltshire, 2½ miles ESE of Devizes station on the G.W.R. Post town, Devizes. Acreage, 649; population, 153. Along with Etchilhampton it has a parish council of nine members. The living is annexed to Urchfont. The church was built in 1846. There is a small Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stert St. James|
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stert 1579-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Stert:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stert from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stert (St. James))
Online maps of Stert are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: