Stapleford, a parish in Wiltshire, 1¼ mile NNW of Wishford station on the G.W.R., and 4½ miles NNW of Wilton. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order office, Wishford; telegraph office, Wylye. Acreage, 2118; population, 250. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £190 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church has been restored, and has a fine Norman porch. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapleford St. Mary|
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law union||Wilton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Stapleford:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stapleford (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stapleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: