Stanton St Bernard, Wiltshire
Stanton St Bernard, a parish in Wiltshire, on the Kennet and Avon Canal, 3 miles NW by N of Woodborough station on the G.W.R., and 6½ E of Devizes. Post town and telegraph office, Woodborough. Acreage, 2043; population, 273. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was rebuilt in 1833, and is a stone building in the Gothic style. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton St. Bernard All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Stanton St Bernard:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton St Bernard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanton St. Bernard (All Saints))
Online maps of Stanton St Bernard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: