Stanton Fitzwarren, Wiltshire
Stanton Fitzwarren, a parish in Wiltshire, 4½ miles. NE of Swindon station on the G.W. R. Post town, Swindon. Acreage, 1113; population of the civil parish, 166; of the ecclesiastical, 202. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £230. The church is in the Norman and Decorated styles, and has been restored. There is a magnificent Norman font with figures, also some fine modern oak carvings. About half a mile from the village, during the construction of the railway, a Roman tesselated pavement was discovered.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton-Fitzwarren St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Highworth and Swindon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Stanton Fitzwarren:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton Fitzwarren from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanton-Fitzwarren (St. Leonard))
Online maps of Stanton Fitzwarren are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: