Shrewton, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, 6 miles WNW of Amesbury, and 6 from Wylye station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2203; population of the civil parish, 548; of the ecclesiastical, 891. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. There are several ancient British remains. The living is a vicarage, with Maddington annexed, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1854, and is a building of flint and stone. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shrewton St. Mary|
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Shrewton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shrewton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shrewton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Shrewton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: