Childer Thornton, Cheshire
Childer-Thornton or Thornton-Childer, a village and a township in Hooton ecclesiastical and Eastham civil parish, Cheshire, 1 mile from Little Sutton station on the Helsby and Hooton branch of the Birkenhead railway, 1 E of Hooton, and 9 miles S of Birkenhead. Acreage of the township, 746; population, 743. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Childer Thornton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.