Rodborne Cheney, Wiltshire
Rodborne Cheney, a parish in Wiltshire, on the North Wilts Canal, and adjacent to Swindon Junction on the Great Western and Midland and South-Western Joint railways, with a post and money order and telegraph office under Swindon. It includes the tithings of Even Swindon, Haydon, Haydon Wick, and Moredon. Acreage, 2360; population of the civil parish, 1004; of the ecclesiastical, 2775. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Limestone is largely quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £200 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1848. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist ohapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Rodborne-Cheney St. Mary
|Poor Law union
|Highworth and Swindon
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rodborne Cheney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rodborne-Cheney (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: