Preshute, a parish in Wiltshire, on the river Kennet, 1½ mile SW of Marlborough station on the G.W.R. It includes Clatford, Elect, and Manton tithings, and is within Marlborough parliamentary borough. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Marlborough. Acreage, 5358; population of the civil parish, 1311; of the ecclesiastical, 853. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members and a chairman. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £115. The church is partly Norman, in good condition, and has a brass of 1518. The Marlborough Workhouse is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Preshute St. George|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Preshute 1606-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Preshute:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preshute from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Preshute (St. George))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: