Poole Keynes, Wiltshire
Poole Keynes, a parish in Wiltshire, adjacent to the river Thames, 2 miles SSE of Kemble Junction station on the G.W.R., and 5 SSW of Cirencester. Post town, Cirencester; money order and telegraph office, Kemble. Acreage, 1128; population, 129. This small parish has a committee of five members and chairman to represent the parochial electors under the Local Government Act, 1894. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £135 with residence. Patrons, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1770.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poole-Keynes St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1632.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Poole Keynes:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael, re-built on the site of an old church, 1770, is a Gothic stone building, and has chancel, nave and square embattled western tower containing one bell, and was repaired in 1845: some of the monuments built into the walls date from the 16th century: the east window and one on each side of the chancel are stained: there are sittings for 70 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poole Keynes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Poole-Keynes (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:
- Salisbury and Winchester Journal
- Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
- Wiltshire Independent
- Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle
This parish was formerly in Wiltshire, but from 1st April, 1897, was annexed to the county of Gloucester by an Order of the Local Government Board, dated 30th April, 1896, which order was confirmed by the Local Government Board's Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 13) Act. 1896.