Plaitford, a parish in Wiltshire, adjacent to Hants, 5 miles W by S of Eomsey station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Romsey; money order office. West Wellow; telegraph office, Romsey. Acreage, 1323; population, 164. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £100 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Romsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Plaitford:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Plaitford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Plaitford)
Online maps of Plaitford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: