Orcheston St George, Wiltshire
Orcheston St George, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands on Salisbury Plain, 8 miles NE of Wiley station on the G.W.R., and 12 SSE of Devizes, and has a post office under Shrewton; money order and telegraph office, Shrewton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Elston, and comprises 2260 acres; population, 181. The parish is remarkable for the widely-known Orcheston grass. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £440 with residence. The church is of the 14th century, in excellent condition, and has stained glass windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Orcheston St. George
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Orcheston St George:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Orcheston St George from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Orcheston (St. George))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: