Ogbourne St George, Wiltshire
Ogbourne St George or Great Okebourne, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands near the source of a small affluent of the river Kennet, with a station on the M. & S.W. Joint railway, 80 miles from London. It has a post and money order office under Marlborough; telegraph office, Marlborough. Acreage of parish, 3572; population, 461. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Bee Heriowyn Abbey in Normandy, was founded here in 1149 by Maud de Wallingford, and was given to King's College, Cambridge, and to the Charterhouse. A considerable portion of Marlborongh Downs is within the parish, and has been extensively laid under good cultivation. Barbury Hill, with a well-preserved ancient British camp, and the scene of a great battle in 556, is 2½ miles NW of the village, and has been separately noticed. There are several barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £240 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient, with a tower, and has been restored. There are Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ogbourn St. George|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Ogbourne St George:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ogbourne St George from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ogbourn (St. George))
Online maps of Ogbourne St George are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: