Oaksey, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands 2 miles from Kemble Junction station on the G.W.R., 3 SE of Akeman Street, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, and 6 NE by N of Malmesbury. It has a post and telegraph office under Malmesbury; money order office, Malmesbury. Acreage of parish, 1827; population, 374. The parish council consists of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £300 with residence. The church is partly Norman, has been restored, and has some stained windows and an embattled tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oaksey All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Malmesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Oaksey:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oaksey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oaksey (All Saints))
Online maps of Oaksey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: