UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Norton Bavant, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Norton Bavant, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, 1½ mile NW of Heytesbury station on the G.W.R., and 2½ miles SE by E of Warminster. The parish includes a detached portion, separated from the main body by Warminster parish. Post town, War-minster; money order and telegraph office, Heytesbury. Acreage, 1856; population of the civil parish, 163; of the ecclesiastical, 199. Norton House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1840, and has since been restored. The 14th century tower was restored and the bells rehung in 1894.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishNorton-Bavant All Saints 
HundredWarminster 
Poor Law unionWarminster 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Norton Bavant:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1616-19171655-18131622-19331622-1952

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Norton Bavant from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Norton Bavant are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA12
Post TownWarminster

Advertisement

Advertisement