North Wraxall, Wiltshire
Wraxall, North, a parish, with Upper Wraxall and Ford hamlets, in Wiltshire, 3 miles N of Box station on the G.W.R., 7 W by N of Chippenham, and 9 NE of Bath. It has a post office under Chippenham; money order and telegraph office, Marshfield Acreage, 2175; population, 371. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to Lord Methuen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; tithe rent charge, £375 and residence. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman style. There are two Congregational chapels and two almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Wraxall St. James|
|Poor Law union||Chippenham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for North Wraxall:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Wraxall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wraxall, North (St. James))
Online maps of North Wraxall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: