Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire
Monkton Farleigh, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, adjacent to the river Avon and the boundary with Somerset, 2 miles from Box station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bradford-on-Avon; money order and telegraph office, Batheaston. Acreage, 1860; population, 388. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Lewes Abbey, was founded here in 1125 by Humphrey de Bohnn, was given at the dissolution to the Seymours, and has left some traces. Monkton Farleigh House was erected out of materials of the priory, occupies part of its site, belonged for a time to the family of Long, and is now the seat of the Hobhouse family. An exquisitely worked silver seal, supposed to have been that of the last prior, was found in the vicinity. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church comprises nave and chancel and an old tower. There are some extensive freestone quarries on Farleigh Down.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Monkton-Farley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Bradford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Monkton Farleigh:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monkton Farleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Monkton-Farley (St. Peter))
Online maps of Monkton Farleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: