Monkton Deverill, Wiltshire
Deverill-Monckton, a parish in Wilts, on the Deverill rivulet, 4½ miles NE of Mere, and 5½ from Warminster station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Warminster. Acreage, 1813; population, 104. A monastery, subordinate to Bee Abbey, was founded here before 1086. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Kingston-Deverill, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good. White, ejected by Cromwell, and afterwards a physician, was incumbent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Mere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Monkton Deverill 1749-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Monkton Deverill:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monkton Deverill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Deverhill, Monkton)
Online maps of Monkton Deverill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: