UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Minty, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Minety or Minty, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands near the ancient forest of Bradon, 3½ miles SW of the boundary with Gloucestershire, with a station on the G.W.R., 85 miles from London, and 5½ ENE of Malmesbury. It has a post and money order office under Malmesbury; telegraph office at railway station. Acreage of the parish, 3778; population, 757. Minety House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £195 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Wilts. The church is Later English, with a tower, and contains a brass and monuments of the Powletts, the Pleydells, and others.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishMinety St. Leonard 
HundredMalmesbury 
Poor Law unionMalmesbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Minety 1663-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Minty from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Minty are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: