Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire
Deverill-Longbridge, a parish in Wilts. The parish lies on the Deverill rivulet, 3 miles S of Warminster town and station on the G.W.R., includes the hamlet of Crockerton, and has a post and money order office under Warminster. Acreage, 3811; population of the civil parish, 730; of the ecclesiastical, 875. The manor belonged to the Abbey of Glastonbury, took the after-part of its name from an ancient bridge supposed to have been built by the abbots, and passed to the Thynnes, ancestors of the Marquis of Bath. Longleat, the seat of the Marquis of Bath, is a beautiful mansion containing many fine pictures and works of art, and stands in a park of nearly 2000 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £422 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church contains monuments of the Thynnes, and an old font, and is good. Thynne's alms-houses have £80. There are Methodist, Congregational, and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Longbridge Deverill St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Warminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1682.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Longbridge Deverill:
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an edifice of stone in various styles, consisting of chancel, with the Bath chapel on the north side and organ chamber and vestry on the south, clerestoried nave of three bays, with aisles, and a Perpendicular embattled western tower containing 6 bells, the treble bell having been added in 1882: the north arcade is very Early Norman and the south of the 14th century: there is one stained window: a monument in the Bath chapel to Sir John Thynne, the founder of Longleat, ob. 1580, and mural monuments to first and second Marquesses of Bath 1796-1837, and their wives: an elegant lych gate was erected at the south entrance by the Rev. Canon W. D. Morrice, a former vicar, in memory of his children: the church was restored in 1852 by John Alex. 4th Marquess of Bath, and affords 234 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longbridge Deverill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Deverhill, Longbridge (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Longbridge Deverill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: