Long Newnton, Wiltshire
Newnton, Long, a village and a parish in Wiltshire, in the NW parliamentary division, in Malmesbury county court and Highway district, and in Tetbury union. The village is on the ancient Fosse Way, and near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1¼ mile E of Tetbury station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Tetbury; money order and telegraph office, Tetbury. Acreage of parish, 2289; population, 323. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. A right of common is said to have been given by King Athelstan. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £270 with residence. The church of the Holy Trinity is Early English, but has been several times restored. There is a cottage hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Newnton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Tetbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Long Newnton 1653-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Long Newnton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Newnton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newnton, Long (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: