Little Cheverell, Wiltshire
Cheverell, Little, a parish in Wilts, near the Ridge Way, 1½ mile WSW of Market-Lavington, and 6 miles S by W of Devizes station on the G.W.R. Post town, West Lavington, under Devizes; money order and telegraph office, West Lavington. Acreage, 1025; population, 195. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £405.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Cheverell St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1653.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Little Cheverell:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1850, at the joint expense of the late Earl of Radnor and the then rector, is an edifice of grey stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a small western tower, in the Perpendicular style, containing a good clock, placed in 1887, and two bells.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Cheverell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cheverell, Little (St. Peter))
Online maps of Little Cheverell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: