Little Bedwin, Wiltshire
Bedwin, or Bedwyn, Little, a parish in Wilts, on the Kennet and Avon Canal, near Wans Dyke, 1¼ mile NE of Bedwin station on the G.W.R., and 3½ SW by S of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Chisbury, and has a post office under Hungerford; money order and telegraph office, Great Bedwyn. Acreage, 4343; population of the civil parish, 487; of the ecclesiastical, 313. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £260. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church is ancient, partly Norman, and built of flint; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains the tomb of a Hungerford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Bedwin St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Little Bedwin:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The parish church of St Michael is an ancient building of stone in the Transition style between Norman and Early English, and consists of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with stone spire containing 4 bells: there are 270 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Bedwin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bedwin, Little (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: