Liddiard Tregoz, Wiltshire
Liddiard Tregoz or Lydiard Tregoze, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands 3 miles from Wootton Bassett station on the G.W.R. and 4 from Swindon; it gives the title of Baron to Viscount Bolingbroke. Post town, Swindon; money order and telegraph office, Parton. Acreage, 5238; population, 731. The manor belonged to the Tregozes, came into possession of the St Johns, Viscounts Bolingbroke, by marriage with the heiress of Tregoze at the time of the Conquest, and has been held by the family ever since. Liddiard Park is the seat of Viscount Bolingbroke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £560 with residence. Patron, Viscount Bolingbroke. The church is ancient, was partly rebuilt in 1683, underwent thorough restoration about 1846, has a tower, and contains banners, helmets, pedigrees, and monuments of the Viscounts Bolingbroke. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Liddiard-Tregooze All Saints,
|Poor Law union
|Cricklade and Wootton-Bassett
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The churchyard being closed, a new parish burial ground was opened at Hook in 1893, at a cost of £300, including a lych gate at the entrance; the land, given by Viscount Bolingbroke, is 2 acres in extent, and is under the control of the rector.
The register dates from the year 1666.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Later English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the south aisle was built in 1663 by the Bolingbroke family, to whom there are some handsome monuments: the east window is filled with painted glass, by Van Eyck, of the time of Charles II. representing St. John the Baptist and the Evangelists, and a genealogical tree of the Bolingbroke St. John family: in the chancel is a pedigree of the same family from the Conquest, splendidly Illuminated; there is also a monument to Sir John St. John and his two wives and family: the church was repaired in 1846, and was restored in 1902: in the course of the work a number of wall paintings were disclosed, some being remarkably well preserved: over the chancel arch is a picture of the Crucifixion with many figures, and on one of the nave pillars a painting of Christ after the Resurrection: elsewhere are representations of St. George and the Dragon and a Norman castle: the plaster has been removed from the roof, and the old oak timber-work opened: at the northern entrance are carved figures representing Christ crowned with thorns and the Blessed Virgin: the church has about 320 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Liddiard Tregoz from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Liddiard-Tregooze (All Saints,))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: