Laverstock, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands on the Bourn river, 1½ mile NE of Salisbury station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Salisbury; money order and telegraph office, Salisbury. Its name signifies " the village of the lark." The parish includes part of Ford tithing, and comprises 1620 acres; population of the civil parish, 420; of the ecclesiastical, 465. The manor belonged once to the Good Duke Humphrey, and belongs now to the Wyndham family. Laverstock House was formerly the seat of the Wyndham family, but is now a private lunatic asylum, with accommodation for upwards of seventy patients. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, and is annexed to the commonalty of the Vicars Choral of Salisbury. The church is modern, was built at a cost of £2350, has a bell-turret, and consists of flint with stone dressings. Part of the previous church still stands, and contains monuments of the Bathursts.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Laverstock St. Andrew
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Laverstock 1726-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1726.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, erected near the site of the old church at a cost of £2,353, is an edifice of stone and cut flint, with Bath stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: the east and south windows are stained, and in the porch is a marble monument belonging to the Bathurst family: a vestry was added in 1906, at a cost of £300, defrayed by the parishioners: there are 250 sittings: in the churchyard, which has been enlarged, stands a portion of a buttress of the old church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Laverstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Laverstock (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Laverstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: