Knook, a parish, with a village, in Wiltshire, on the river Wiley, and the Old Ditch Way, 1 mile SE of Heytesbury station on the G.W.R. Post town, Heytesbury. Acreage, 1510; population, 106. The property belongs entirely to Lord Heytesbury. Knock Castle is an ancient single-ditched entrenchment of about 2 acres; is supposed to have been originally a British village, and afterwards a Roman summer camp; and has yielded Roman corns. Traces of another ancient British village are to the N. " The site of these villages," says Sir R. C. Hoare, " is decidedly marked by great cavities and a black soil; and the attentive eye may easily trace out the lines of houses and the streets, or rather the hollow ways, conducting to them. Numerous tumuli and barrows are in the neighbourhood." The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Heytesbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church, which dates from the llth century, was repaired in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knook St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Warminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Knook 1695-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1687.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Knook:
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is a small but ancient building of stone, in mixed styles, consisting of Norman chancel, nave, north porch and a belfry with one bell: the church was thoroughly restored in 1882, and affords 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knook from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Knook (St. Margaret))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: