Kington St Michael, Wiltshire
Kington St Michael (formerly Kington Monachorum), a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands 3 miles NW by N of Chippenham station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Chippenham; money order and telegraph office, Chippenham. The parish contains also the tithings of Kington Langley and Easton Piercy. Acreage, 2435; population of the civil parish, 438; of the ecclesiastical, 426. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, was given to Glastonbury Abbey, and passed to the Snells and the Longs. A Benedictine nunnery, a cell to the abbey, was founded before the time of Henry II., and has left some remains at a farm. Aubrey, the antiquary, a native of Easton Piercy, says that "forty or fifty nuns might be seen in a morning spinning with their wheels and bobbins." Button, the antiquary, was a native of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is chiefly Early English, with Norman chancel arch, and with a tower of 1726, was restored in 1857, and contains a memorial window to Aubrey and Britton, erected in 1857, two brasses, and some monuments to the Colemans, the Aubreys, and others. The vicarage of Kington Langley is a separate benefice.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kingston St. Michael 1563-1837, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from Oct. 6th, 1563. In 1582 the following memoranda appear:-"Here the plague began, 4th May," and "here the plague ended, 6th August."
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Kington St Michael:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an ancient structure, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a lofty western tower of debased character, containing 6 bells: the chancel arch is a fine example of Norman work: there is a memorial window to John Aubrey and John Britton, the antiquaries, besides other stained windows: the church, including the chancel, was restored in 1857-8, and has 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Online maps of Kington St Michael are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: