Kemble, a parish in North Wilts, at the Cirencester Junction station of the Cheltenham and G.W.R., and on the Thames and Severn Canal adjacent to Gloucestershire, 91 miles from London, and 4 SW from Cirencester. It has a post and telegraph office under Cirencester; money order office, Cirencester. It includes the tithing of Ewen. Acreage, 3600; population, 482. An affluent of the Thames rises here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £250. The church has a lofty steeple, which was struck and rent by lightning in 1823, and again in 1872, and contains a monument of a Knight Templar and several other monuments; the whole church was rebuilt in 1877.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Kemble All Saints
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kemble 1679-1812, Wiltshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1679.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Kemble:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1877-8, at a cost of £2,000, is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle and south transept, mortuary chapel, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, and surmounted by a spire 120 feet in height: in the church is an ancient tomb of a Knight Templar and some interesting monuments, and in the mortuary chapel is a curious triple window of the 13th century, said to have been brought from Salisbury cathedral: the porch, which is unusually large, was built in the time of Henry III. (1216-72): over the entrance is a beautiful Norman arch with the chevron ornament: the church has 250 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kemble from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kemble (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:
- Salisbury and Winchester Journal
- Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
- Wiltshire Independent
- Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle
The parish was formerly in Wiltshire, but from 1st April, 1897, was annexed to the county of Gloucester by an Order of the Local Government Board, dated 30th April, 1896, which Order was confirmed by the Local Government Board's Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 13) Act, 1896.