UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Inglesham, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Inglesham, a parish in Wiltshire, on the river Isis, adjacent to Berks and Gloucestershire, 1½ mile SSW of Lech-lade, and 3 miles from Highworth station on the G.W.R. Post town, Lechlade. Acreage, 1238; population of the civil parish, 119; of the ecclesiastical, 104. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £185 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Norman, has an open bell-turret and a large fresco on one of the walls. In 1883 Lynt Farm was amalgamated with this parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishInglesham St. John the Baptist 
HundredHighworth 
Poor Law unionHighworth and Swindon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1589.

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Inglesham:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1589-19171760-18131589-19331591-1940

Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist is a small but ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave of two bays, aisles, south porch and a western belfry containing 2 bells: the chancel wall above the communion table shows signs of colour, and there are remains of a large fresco beneath the whitewash; the pulpit is Elizabethan, and some of the pews date from the time of Charles II.: in 1910 two piscinae, the remains of a stone reredos and the bottom of a 13th century font were discovered: in front of the communion table are floor tablets to Robert Babb (a former vicar) and his wife, A.D. 1699, and a large black marble slab, from which a life-size brass, representing an armed knight, has been removed; in the church is an ancient sculpture of the Virgin and Child: the church was partly new roofed and some of the high pews lowered in 1892: there are 80 sittings: the old village cross, in excellent preservation, still stands in the churchyard, and consists of three steps, supporting an octagonal chamfered base, from which rises a monolithic shaft about 7 feet in height.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Inglesham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Inglesham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountySwindon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSN6
Post TownSwindon

Advertisement

Advertisement