Hullavington, a village and a parish in Wilts. The village stands 5 miles SW by S of Malmesbury, and 6 NW by N of Chippenham station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Chippenham; money order office, Grittleton; telegraph office, Tatton KeynelL The parish includes the lathings of Surrendal, and comprises 3303 acres; population, 543. The manor belonged to the priory of St Victor, near Bouen, passed to the Crown, was given by Henry VI. to Eton College, and is now held by the Neeld family as lessees. Bradfield is an old house formerly connected with St Victor's priory. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £180 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is ancient, and is of Transition Norman, with some Early English work. It has a tower, and was restored in 1871. The tower was rebuilt in 1880. There are Congregational, Baptist, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hullavington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Malmesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1694.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Hullavington:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, side chapel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, rebuilt in 1880, and containing 2 bells: the porch, arches, columns and other parts are Transition Norman and the north aisle has very good Early English windows: there are slight remains of 12th century glass: the church was restored in 1871, and in 1907 the north aisle and Bradfield chapel were restored and an organ chamber erected: there are 240 sittings. A lych-gate was erected in the churchyard in 1897, by Meredith Meredith-Brown esq. J.P. in memory of his wife.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hullavington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hullavington (St. Mary))
Online maps of Hullavington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: